Introduction to setting up a German branch
In terms of economy Germany is a good choice for foreign investors to establish a branch. Incorporation of the branch is similar to that of German resident companies, although the registration procedure is slightly longer. The branch must take the name of the parent company with its legal form attached to the end i.e. branch or German branch.
What are the formalities regarding German branches?
- A copy of the parent company’s Certificate of Incorporation
- A copy of the parent company’s Certificate of Good Standing – to be less than 4 weeks old
- A copy of Memorandum & Articles of Association of the parent company
- The board resolution of the parent company providing evidence of the decision to set up the branch
- A branch representative, to speak English or German
- Power of Attorney for the branch
- A small shared office with registered address
The documents shown above are required for the registration of the branch with the German Commercial Register.
All documentation is required to be officially notarised and apostilled, in addition to being translated into German by a certified translator.
What are the accounting requirements for a Germany Branch?
The branch company must register for VAT with the relevant Tax Office assigned to the parent company’s domicile country. VAT returns should be submitted monthly and tax accounts should be filed annually with the local Tax Office.
Accounting specifications and taxation vary according to German region.
If you need any further information on accountancy and tax rates in Germany please visit our partners Accountancy in Europe.
What office facilities are available when registering a branch?
The minimum office requirement in Germany is a small shared office arrangement in conjunction with a registered office – an address registered for branch correspondence.
The following are also available:
- Virtual offices, providing off-site communication with telephone, fax and mail forwarding facilities, maintaining the professionalism of a physical office
- Serviced offices, including all necessary business services ready for immediate occupation
Please contact us for a quote regarding your office rental.
Branch formation packages
We can take care of the entire branch formation process for you, with our branch formation packages including services such as registration of the branch and bank account introduction. You can relax knowing that our team of experienced experts will organise everything on your behalf.
Establishing multiple branches can take further advantage of the benefits extended to branches in Germany. These include increased exposure and new business with local companies, among others. As with branch formation for a single branch, our proficient team can guide you through the entire process every step of the way.
For further information please send an enquiry or contact us.