Work Permits in Europe

Persons that are domicile in EU member countries do not need a work permit to work in a foreign EU member country. This allows the easy transfer of people and workers within the EEA.

Work permits are required in Europe for persons that are not domicile in an EU member country. It legally allows the permit holder to work in a certain country for a certain period of time. It may also specify which industry or business sector and with which company.

Every country in Europe has slightly different procedures to review and process work permit applications, and so timescales and costs do vary greatly. Gaining an understanding of the local regulations for your chosen country is essential to comply with the relevant documentation.

There are some common requirements that apply generally throughout Europe. These include the following:

The person requiring the permit must have established an employment agreement with a company and the company must manage all aspects of the permit application on behalf of the worker; The permit will only be issued if the job position it is granted for cannot be filled by an EU national worker; Limitations concerning the period of time, the company, and position within the company may all be specified in the permit conditions. On occasions a minimum salary level for the permit holder may be determined and set by the local authorities.

Highly skilled workers can obtain a work permit through different means to normal applicants. There is considered to be a shortage of certain skills and workers throughout Europe and so steps have been taken increase the number of highly skilled or highly educated workers in EU countries. As a result the Blue Card permit is designed to attract these workers, offering a combination of work and residence permit.

As the Blue Card permit is just for highly skilled or highly educated individuals, there are stringent requirements to comply with in order to qualify. These include the possession of a college diploma or evidence of the completion of five years occupational training; the possession of a valid job offer of employment contract; a gross income of at least 50% above the national average.

The initial period of work within the EU is four years.


As always, if there is any information you need, any help you require, please don’t hesitate to contact us for further enquiries.

The information and any commentary on the law contained on this website is provided for information and guidance purposes only. Every reasonable effort is made to make the information and commentary accurate and up to date, but no responsibility for its accuracy and correctness, or for any consequences of relying upon it is assumed by Open A European Company, its directors , employees or associated websites.

The information and commentary on Open A European Company’s site does not, and is not intended to amount to legal advice to any third party on a specific case or matter. You are strongly recommended to obtain specific, direct legal advice from professional advisers whether these be your own advisers or those that appear on the site. You should consider taking advice both in the country in which you are domiciled and in the country in which you are seeking to open a company. and not to rely on the information or comments on this site.

Copyright © 2009-2023 Open a European Company
Web design by - Website Maintenance and SEO by